Saturday, November 3, 2012

Apples Apples and More Apples!!!

We went apple picking!!!! I have so many apples I just didn't know what to do with them all, so I decide to do a couple things. Here are my recipes I made, I hope you enjoy the ideas.
You need to first pic your apples

And display them beautifully hehehe

Apple Butter:
  • About 20 small/medium apples give or take
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (some like a bit more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon all spice
  • 2 cups apple cider (I added about 1 more cup throughout the process)
Peel, core, slice, and dice up your apples. Add them and all your ingredients to the crockpot, at low heat. I started mine at 8pm, i did wake up a couple times throught the night to stir the apples since it was my first time making them, I didn't want anything to burn. At about 5am I added a half cup more of apple cider. Everyone was sleeping still at 7 am so I smashed the apples by hand in the crock pot with a fork, I suggest pulling them our and pureeing them then putting them back into the crockpot to cook longer with another 1/2 cup of cider. Crack your lid open, put a wooden spoon between the lip and pot. I had mine on from 8pm on low heat till 5am, then switched to"keep warm" setting, But this time your on your own about thickness of the butter. Mine ended up being thicker then apple sauce more like a jam consistency and turned out delicious!
These are the apples that were made into butter :)

All ready to be cooked up!!

The "fruits" of my labor

Apple Butter Tart: 
  • 2-3 peeled and thinly sliced apples
  • Apple butter
  • Streusel
  • Tart crust  
Streusel topping
  •  1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 stick soffened butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
Tart crust
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2/3 cups butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

    Make your dough, and chill it for about 45 minutes. After you pull it from the fridge roll it out into your pie pan, glass casserole dish, or any other oven safe container you were planning on using. spread out your apple butter on the bottom, then layer your 2 or 3 sliced up apples on top, and add your streusel. You should have it in the oven about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 
    Delicious!!!!
     Simple Vanilla Ice Cream:
    1-1/2 cups whole milk
    1-1/8 cups granulated sugar
    3 cups heavy cream
    1-1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
     I use the Cuisinart ice cream maker, and these are their directions and recipe I use.In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
  • Another great apple idea!!!! apple cider!!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious I am going to try it tonight. Thanks Natasha! Also do you think you had to get up a few times to stir it or do you think it would of been fine?

    You are so creative I love it!

    ReplyDelete