This blog will help you find new and fun things to do with your kids, or what to feed your family and give helpful hints on everything else in between.
Friday, August 10, 2012
The Mushroom Eater
When my little guy Travis was around 2 years old, we were out back playing, and under all the leaves these mushrooms were growing. Well you know how fast a 2 year old can be... before I could get to him, he had bit a piece of the mushroom and ate it. I don't know if I had got it all out of his mouth. I call the insurances nurse helpline, they tell me to hang up and call the poison control helpline, well they tell me to hang up and go to the ER right away. So if your a mom, dad, or guardian, you know how scary that can be. NO one will give you info, they just say its very important to get to the ER. We arrive at the ER, thinking they will take up right back, since this is such an emergency, James, Travis and I wait in the waiting room 4 hours!!!! (Matthew was at work) Finally we are brought back, they do blood work, and they tell me even if the mushroom was poisonous that would not be able to do anything about it. Mushrooms usually attack the liver and the liver shuts down. With this information, I was kinda ticked off, THANKFUL that Travis was obviously fine, but none the less ticked off. If you had to stay in the ER for 5 hours with a 2 year old and a 5 year old, you would want to pull your hair out also. But hes fine, either the mushroom was not poisonous, or he just didn't ingest enough. If this ever happens to you, always bring to the ER what the child ate, if something does go wrong, they will be able to help you faster with the samples....
We finally made it to a room, he looks healthy right??